POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Dec 2009 14:55:12
Message: <4b2546a0$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     And this has what to to do with minarets

Minarets are a platform (literally) to call muslims publicly to prayer and
have them join together in public.  Perhaps a "quiet" religion is more
acceptable than a publicly noisy one to the general populace.

> Sure, the Swiss doesn't want those kinds of folks (who does?), but does
> anyone think those guys are going to say, "Oh damn! Now that minarets
> are banned, we can't say these things in Switzerland"?

No, but they may reach fewer ears likely to take up arms. Given the number
of people saying they're willing to murder over a page in the newspapers, I
can imagine what would happen if it *wasn't* phrased as simply about
architecture.

>     Yes, but I want people to say it outright, and ultimately pass laws
> that don't try to go around the issue. Passing it off as a question of
> architectural integrity is a lowly act.

Are church bells that ring five times a day permitted? I don't know, but I
never hear church bells around here any more, and when I was young it was
once on Sunday morning at the start of christian services.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)